Food & Wine
Chef David’s homemade chicken pie
- 1 packet of ready rolled puff pastry
- Half cooked chicken
- 1 leek, chopped
- ½ packet of smoked streaked bacon cut into little pieces
- 3 to 4 sliced mushrooms
- 1 vegetable stock cube dissolved in 1 cup water
- ½ cup milk
- 100g plain flour
- 100g butter and a little oil (vegetable or olive)
- Mixed frozen vegetables
- Strip carcass of chicken, cutting meat into large pieces. If you prefer you can buy uncooked boneless chicken, but you need to precook it at this stage.
- Sauté leek, bacon, mix vegetables and mushroom in the butter and oil. When soft add flour.
- Add stock, stirring continuously then add the milk so that the sauce is rich and creamy. If the sauce is a little thick, add more liquid.
- Add the precooked chicken, and stir carefully until meat is completely coated and empty contents into a large pie dish.
- Cover with puff pastry, making a vent in the pie top and brush with milk.
- Bake in oven on a high temperature (200C) for around 25 minutes or until golden brown.
With the stock cube and bacon, there is no need for extra seasoning however; you could substitute some of the stock with a little leftover white wine.